Sunday 1 September 2013

Review - Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Acne Prone Exfoliator

The Kate Somerville brand gained popularity among the Los Angeles rich & famous crowd almost since its conception over 18 years ago. It is said that most of the perfect, glowing complexions of celebrities and socialites alike can be traced to Kate and her main L.A. Skin Clinic. Indeed her clientele is quite impressive and includes names like: Sandra Oh, Paris Hilton, Debra Messing and Jessica Alba (just to name a few!)

What makes Kate Somerville stand out in the beauty industry is the fact that it really is a "true" skincare brand meaning that it is committed to creating science-backed formulations, using proven skin-loving ingredients and preforming very rigorous and extensive independent research testing before releasing a product to the general masses. They specialize in skincare only and they stick to that commitment through and through. 

All of their products are based on paramedical esthetics, skin wellness and the brands unique Skin Health Pyramid philosophy. On top of that it can be said that the brands Skin Clinics gave rise to the "medi-spa" industry where patients can expect a lot more than a traditional spa experience, enjoying pampering and skin healing all at once.
With both medicine, science and years of experience backing her up, Kate follows a simple strategy - Renew Skin, Restore Health, and Deliver Results, through which she promises healthy skin to everyone. 

Over the last few years I have turned to the Kate Somerville line-up to enhance my regular skincare routine, especially when \I was dealing with breakouts and heavy-duty pore congestion. The one product that really stood out and impressed me with its efficiency, fast results and scientific inovation is the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Acne Prone Exfoliator ($78.00 for 2 oz). 

Official Description;
A blemish treatment that exfoliates, detoxifies, and clarifies without irritation.
Kate's unique blend of antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant ingredients work overtime to reduce the appearance of existing blemishes and prevent new pimples from forming. Formulated with salicylic acid and active tea tree oil, this product gently exfoliates and promotes cell turnover without over drying or causing irritation.


Ingredients;
Water, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Distarch Phosphate, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, 4-Terpineol, Jojoba Esters, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Polyacrylamide, Montmorillonite, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Phytic Acid, Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaiba) Resin, Carapa Guianensis (Andiroba) Seed Oil, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Pulp Oil, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Genipa Americana Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Protease, Glycine, Alcohol, Dehydroxyantham Gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol.

In addition to having the usual acne-fighter, Salicylic Acid (0.5%), the ExfoliKate formula includes other "unconventional" ingredients that are not normally associated with products meant to eradicate blemishes and blackheads. Green French Clay and Amazonian Tree Extracts restores hydration levels in already irritated skin while the inclusion of Fruit Enzymes and Jojoba Beads will help rejuvenate the way skin actually looks.

When I purchased this I had been suffering with a sudden, deep and painful cystic breakouts on my chin and jaw line and having tried a huge number of acne-fighters with no results I was hoping that such a big-ticket item such as this will give me at least some relief. The instructions were quite simple - apply a thin layer on targeted area using circular motions, leave on for one minute and then simply rinse-pat dry. I had heard that this was suppose to be a heavy duty exfoliator so I was very surprised by its gentle grainy, almost creamy texture that melted and cooled on the skin surface. There was absolutely no discomfort, no painful stinging, irritation or redness and yet my skin felt amazingly soft, smooth and simply comforted. It is very rare for me to see instantaneous results when it comes to skincare but the ExfoliKate had me convinced from the get go. After just two uses my breakouts were significantly diminished and well on their way to being completely healed. 


The price tag of the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Acne Prone Exfoliator ($78.00 for 2 oz) is bound to make anyone any one of us hesitant however I have learned that when it comes to good skincare that delivers, a little bit of a splurge is often more than warranted. Its better to pay more for a product that works and is good for your skin then to continue buying the "cheaper" dupes, always chasing the next-new thing that will possibly work better than the $10 tube you got last month. It adds up and I bet if you look in your bathroom cabinet you will see what I am talking about. I am not saying that good skin treatments have to be expensive like this but I am saying that they have to work. 
Based on that I would definitively recommend the ExfoliKate  to anyone who has tried it all with no significant improvement or any results to speak of. The price is high but the tube will last a long time (3-4 months) if used sparingly and you can stretch out the longevity even further if you choose to use it as a targeted, spot treatment. 
Good skincare is definitively worth it for me and Kate Somerville obviously knows her stuff.
After all, we only get one face to take care of :-)

You can purchase the ExfoliKate and other Kate Somerville products directly from their own website, our trusty Sephora and even Amazon!

I hope that was helpful - Thank you for reading!

XOXO

ANJA

P.S. If you enjoyed this post and want some more Princeza Beauty Musings, please consider following me through GFC, Bloglovin, Pinterest or Twitter! Insert "happy dance" here :-) 

1 comment:

  1. funny (1)interesting (1)cool ~ that was me :)
    so yeah I just like reading your blog when I have some down time to myself ...
    will visit again .... How can I find you on Blog Lovin ??
    I am sarahlovesblogging.blogspot.ca you can follow me and I;ll follow back or you can give me your name of blog for blog lovin :)
    and btw I ve heard of kate somerville , my friends always look for the new est beauty trends lol !! Glad to see such great beauty posts ~ keep it up !!

    ReplyDelete